Monday, May 16, 2005

Offseason News

Finally, some good news for the Dawgs... or is it? Last Friday, May 16, 2005, Georgia landed its' sixth verbal commitment for the 2006 recruiting class. Yes, you read the date right. That is our sixth commitment nine months before signing day. This time the Dawgs land a quarterback from the lonestar state, Matthew Stafford. I must state that I am not a recruitnik. I don't really follow recruiting that much until about a week before signing day. I have friends who are avid recruiting war followers and I just depend on them for updates. To me the best thing about signing day, and now the early verbal commitments, is the fact that it gives us a legitimate reason to talk about college football when the season is soooo far away. The reason I question this commitment as good news or not is because of the log jam that is being created at that position. We know D.J. is "the man" for the 2005 season, barring injury. However, 2006 will bring a stiff competition for the starting job with three potential quarterbacks vying for the spot. Blake Barnes will be a sophomore, Joe Cox wil be a redshirt freshman, and Stafford will either compete as a true freshman or be redshirted. I guess we'll just have to wait to see who will be the heir apparent to the winningest quarterback in NCAA history.

No comments: